Pages

12/14/07

Discussions with a co-worker


I'll start by saying first that at my work place they do not know I am a Muslim - its just a fact of my life right now and until I get to a higher level of faith its just going to have to stay that way. If any of you reading this ( well if there is anyone reading this) object to my not informing the world about my conversion you should probably stop reading my blog because it will have a lot of content on this subject. So moving on ...
The guy comes walking into my office to drop off a piece of paper on my desk, does so and then proceeds to look out the window of the office, something he does quite frequently. As I continue my work and think he's gotten lost in the scenery, turns around and says: " Do you celebrate Christmas?" Ack...gasp, I try to think of an answer quickly and not have my face flush red (which it does very quickly I might add). " Well my family comes together at this time yeah" was my answer, I thought it was a fairly good one, until he comes back and says: "no I mean do you believe in Christmas are you a Christian?" Oh good grief, face turns read, mind starts racing with the possible outcomes of this conversation - not one are good. "Ah well no, not religiously, we don't celebrate it, haven't gone to Church in years" I desperately hope his next question is not : "What is your religion?" Which is almost exactly what he did say, but phrased it: " Aren't you a Catholic?" I smile and say: "No" and hope that is the end of it! It was.
Now, you have to understand that it is not my intention in life to deny I am a Muslim, but in certain situations I don't want to reveal what I practice. Is that really something blameworthy? Some have said yes, basically its a 'lie by omission' idea. Perhaps, but its not an intentional lie - if that makes sense.
Now back to this guy whoi s still standing in my office. He somehow got onto the subject of religions, and what each practice - I wasn't listening too closely to him, but my head shot up when he said something about; " you know that black chunk of rock..." Up comes my head from my papers, "Oh the one Muslims walk around... yeah I know and actually you know what that really is, its a place that Abraham had rebuilt, and some say that there is even some history of Adam and Eve linked to that site..." I was kind of rambling and not making too much sense at this point, but I just got so excited that he had asked about it and I had a chance to respond. He did stop me and say: " oh but they don't believe in the 'same' Adam and Eve as we do." I exclaimed: " Yes they do, and in Abraham, Moses, and Jesus." His prolific reply, "you don't say?" Then the conversation turned somewhat a different direction and trailed off, but I had felt so great that I was able to tell him these things.
I realized that he really did not know that Muslims share a common history, that yes its the same Adam and Eve!!
I can't help but wonder if this small conversation had at least sightly opened up his mind - well probably not because this guy is too set in his ways, he is not really for any organized religion. You never know though, people can sometimes surprise you - I know that was true for myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

alhamdulillah.. good on you sis, I love to share knowledge too, especially when ppl are being so ignorant. Ive never heard 'not the same adam & eve' before though, its usually not the same God. insha'allah there will be many conversations like this, so you can fill people in on what they choose to not listen to.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin