Pages

9/13/08

Ramadan Diary - Day 13


Assalam alaikum

Well ok so I have been focusing on the 'cooking' aspect of Ramadan,
well at least for my blogs! I am really feeling the 'spirit' of
Ramadan (ok so that sounds kind of cheesy) but I kind of like
that we are denying ourselves of food and being more
introspective. Some people have said that there is no point
in fasting to know what it feels like for the poor who are hungry because
we end up eating when the sun goes down. Well yes, mashallah we are
able to eat at sundown and I am thankful to God for that! I think the
fasting (other than it being a tenant of our faith) makes you very
thankful for having all the things you have in your life. You are practicing
self-restraint and you are committing yourself to not eating or drinking
when all those around you are.
I have prayed more, read more and generally felt more connected
to this religion. I really hope that I can keep it up for the whole month.
I think it is very important to surround yourself with the right kind of knowledge
and people at this time. It is so very easy to fall back into 'bad' habits or
go back to living your life as you do every day. We all have to realize how
very lucky we are to be living in a place where we are free to live how we
want to and we have all that we can ever ask for.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin