Pages

8/20/09

Ramadan preparations

Assalam alaikum & Peace to all

Ramadan is either tomorrow or the next day and I am starting it tomorrow... and yes I know that the N. American start is Saturday but I have the calendar from the Mosque and it says tomorrow and besides that they have not sighted the moon yet, they could tonight which means its tomorrow. Personally I feel that it is more important to fast, pray and do good this whole month + or - one day!

So I have a few goals this year as I will not be fasting - yeah don't you all jump on me! - I have my reasons, and this little one in here is the primary one! I am worried because the days are long for fasting and I have to drive all the way home (40km drive one way) and also my Mom is with us this year so that makes it a bit more difficult, only because I know that she would not agree with me fasting (she knows I fast during Ramadan) right now. So inshallah I will try and make it up when I can, I will inshallah be breast-feeding so it may be a while, we'll see. I have looked at the rulings of what is expected of the pregnant/breastfeeding woman, and to be honest I got a headache trying to determine what I should and should not do. So I have decided - may Allah forgive me and accept what I do - to give money to 'feed' a poor person for the whole month as well as making up the fast at a later date, inshallah. Some rulings say that you do not need to give the charity for the food, but I think why not? I do not give enough during the year so I feel this is a good opportunity to give more.

As well I am going to try and get up for suhur with hubby and make him something good to eat, this is a really struggle for me as I HATE TO GET UP THAT EARLY! but I feel its something I can do to 'make' up for not fasting. (I'll see how jolly I am to get up that early)

I really want to try and learn at least one more Quran sura, I have really been lacking with this, I am ashamed to say but it is reality.

As for food I will be cooking just normal foods but I will also be trying a few things out - first one is Ramazan pide (Turkish bread they make at Ramadan time - recipe is in that link)
also I made stuffed dates, I just love those!
They are just dates that are split and filled with ground almonds that has been mixed with powdered sugar and vanilla if you like - they are just so yummy and filling- mashallah!

So, inshallah all our prayers, fasts and charity will be accept and Allah keeps us on the right path always!




5 comments:

Candice said...

I don't think I would fast either in your position. It's so important for you to follow your bodies needs while you're pregnant for your little one. Giving for the needy is a great alternative. I'm so worried about starting to fast for the first time. I really hope it's Saturday so I can have a weekend done before I start working Monday! And lunch is paid tomorrow at work so I don't want to miss out really!

Anyway, I'm glad everything is going well for you in your pregnancy. I hope that will continue all the way through until you have a healthy baby! How exciting! :)

Aynur said...

Yaay, Ramazan pide sounds yummy. :)
When I was breastfeeding I did not fast when they were under a year. For my youngest, I fasted when she was older (I think she was 19 months old), because I wasn't worried about the milk supply - she was eating normal food too. I figure that since it's mentioned in the Qur'an that pregnant/breastfeeding women are exempted, that it's good to not fast ... even if one is able to fast it might hurt the child, IMO.

H said...

Would someone really jump on you for not fasting?? I always thought it was an automatic "given" that pregnant women should not fast.....

It sounds like you have a very good plan for the month, though, insh'Allah.

And if you really do make successful Ramazan pide, you'll be my hero! :p I'm a horrible baker... I'm so glad we can just buy that here!

(Did I tell you that I changed my blog, to here from Blogspot? I'll email you if you don't know who I am, ha ha :) )

Yasmeen said...

Ramadan Kareem to you and your family Sister.I did not fast both during pregnant and breastfeeding,Allah is most forgiving.

bloomingpeaches said...

Zaytuna has put up a really good section for ramadan resources. Go through the Ramadan Fiqh lecture and you'll get a pretty good idea of Ramadan do's and dont's.

http://www.zaytuna.org/ramadansection2009.asp

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin